Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

04/17/11 Sunday Crosswind Practice

My son's lacrosse schedule was mixed up, and I took him out to practice Sunday morning at 8:30 am, but there was no one there.  Turns out it wasn't until 5pm.  Well, we were about halfway to Chesterfield Airport, so . . .

I drove on down to KFCI and checked the weather on the way.  Looked like a fierce wind was forecast, but it was not too bad that morning.  Just about at my comfort level.  It was approaching 6 to 7 knots.  I figured we'd go and have a look. If it picked up too much, I wouldn't fly.  Can't fly with winds over 10 knots with my student restrictions anyway.

We started the preflight, and I let my son read the checklist.  I showed him how to sump the tanks and check the oil.  Explained why the fuel was blue.  I let him look into the tanks with me.  We had a nice time, and it was a good refresher for me to review all that stuff with him.

After the preflight was complete, he went over to the upstairs observation deck at the FBO with the hand-held radio to watch while I taxied out.

The  winds were still not too bad.  About 290 to 310 at 6 to 7 knots.  I finished my runup and had the airport all to myself.  I departed 33 and had an uneventful departure.  In fact, the air was relatively smooth. 


I lined up perfectly for my first landing.  Left wing down, right rudder, side slip to the runway.  I was established just fine and the speed was right on.  Over the threshold, I think I gained some speed.  I pulled the power, and then my trouble began.  This is where I need the most work.  I floated.  Even ballooned up.  A touch of power so I wouldn't fall.  Kept the wing down, keep the nose down the runway.  A lot to do at once.  I dropped a little more than I wanted.  "Plop" onto the runway.  I was feeling a little shaky after that one. When that happens, the best thing to do is try it again.

As I departed, I kept the left wing down, but the plane weathervaned to the left.  That was a strange feeling and a much greater crab angle than I was used to climbing out.  My speed was fine and the ball was centered, so I went with it.  But I was not feeling that comfortable.  And usually, i like to be very comfortable with what I am doing and with what the airplane is doing.  But I understood what was happening, and felt safe.  I turned crosswind, then downwind.  I talked my way through it.  Crab right to compensate for the wind.  Abeam the numbers, first notch of flaps. Start down. Watch the airspeed.  Don't get too fast.


Turn base. Add the second notch of flaps.  Keep comingdown. Stay at about 70 knots.  Turn final.  I added full flaps a little earlier so I would be very stabilized in my approach.  I kept lined up well.  Got a little fast.  I raised the nose and adusted power to slow and flatten out my descent angle.  Over the numbers.  I can land long--plenty of runway--just let it float, fly the plane, don't balloon.  I planted the left main, then the right almost immediately thereafter.  Keep the left wing down.  Keep increasing back pressure.  I was much happier with that landing, and wanted to end ona good note.  I din't want another uncomfortable departure.  The windswere still the same, well under 10 knots, but I called itquits and taxied back to Foxtrot 7 where I met my son.

He enjoyed watching the fuel truck come and fill the tanks.  He sat in the plane and looked at the panel.  We talked about the instruments.  Then he helped me push the plane into the hangar, and we left.

I had a good flight and two landings in the book.  But I  want to get in more crosswind practice.  And with a CFI.  Hopefully soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment