Search This Blog

Friday, June 1, 2012

Flight to Crewe (W81) 04/11/12

I flew the boys to Crewe, VA, (W81). The idea was to stay current on landings and to get the kids out of the house.  It was getting light later, so I had time to make it down and back before it got totally dark.  The boys were excited to fly. I was interested in the comparatively shorter 3,300' runway, especially to see how short I could stop in preparation for landing on a much shorter grass strip.

The boys in front of 18NS






We departed into calm winds and made the flight to Crewe at about 2000 feet.  I let my 12 year old fly on the way down. He did well and enjoyed the sightseeing.

Jack Flying to Crewe
Once we got close to Crewe we could see Blackstone off to our left.  The boys and I had fun trying to pick out the Crewe airport amongst all of the chicken farms.  Thos buildings look a lot like T-Hangars from the air!!

Once we had found the airport, I crossed midfield to double-check the winds and to set up for a downwind for runway 33.  The landing was uneventful in the relatively smooth air.  I got it stopped pretty quick, too!!


We taxied up to the terminal and took a potty break and switched seats for the flight back.  My 10 year old wanted to take the controls.

The Terminal Building at Crewe
I made a short field take off from 33 to head back to KFCI.  It was a perfect afternoon. 


My son did a great job flying back holding heading and altitude.  We landed at KFCI and I had two more landings to record so my currency would not lapse.  And the boys had a great time, too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment