Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

03/03/11 More Pattern Work after Work

            I headed down to KFCI after work to fly a few quick laps around the pattern.  Wind was 070 at 7, but was changing directions from 060 to 070 to 050.  And it was gusty, not constant.  A relatively light wind, but a direct crosswind. 

            There was a plane ahead of me I had never seen before.  It looked like a Grumman American, but I thought it was a homebuilt, had “Light Sport” on the side. Glass pushback canopy like an RV. I thought it was an RV until he departed.  He said “Breezer” when he took the runway, and I found it today online. German all metal LSA, not a homebuilt: http://www.breezeraircraft.de/   He didn’t use much runway getting airborne.

            I was next, took runway 15 and departed with the left crosswind. The Breezer turned southwest, and soon after I turned left crosswind passing through 900 feet.  It was cool, about 50 degrees F.  I was getting a great climb rate of over 1200 fpm.  The engine really loves these cool temps.  I had to watch my speed when leveling off each time—getting too fast.  The plane wanted to go.

            As I turned downwind, another plane was taxing out and two others announced they were about 10 miles out inbound to land.  Busy afternoon. And I hate having an audience in the run-up area, especially for my first landing of the day. When I drew abeam the numbers, I noticed him taxiing right on out, and I heard him announce his departure.  Maybe he did his run-up somewhere else. He departed also to the southwest.

            As I turned final, the first incoming aircraft joined the crosswind.  I was lined up perfectly, and slipped the whole way in, left wing down.  When I got close to the runway and flared, I drifted left a bit. I corrected, landed on the upwind wheel. Kept the nose off, but I was still left of center a bit.  I stopped, raised the flaps and began my takeoff roll.


            I climbed to 900 and turned crosswind. Each time, I was at pattern altitude before completing the cross wind turn. The plane was really climbing!  I was now number two behind the plane that had been on crosswind, and the other incoming aircraft was number three entering crosswind behind me as I turned downwind.  I like it when there are other aircraft to keep track of.  As I turned downwind, the aircraft in front of me turned a quick base to final and was landing before I was even at midfield.


            
            Abeam the numbers, I put in the first notch and started down.  There is a little lake or pond I use on 15 to signal my turn to base. I turn just before or over it. I turned base and added another notch of flaps, then final.  I set up in another slip, left wing low.  I saved the last bit of flaps until I was over the road right before the runway.  The aircraft behind me announced he was extending his downwind.  Maybe I was taking too long.  It was a Centurion, so maybe he was just faster than the Hawk XP.  I was low, but flattened out my descent on final.  Focusing on speed.  Wing down. Nose pointed down the runway. The landing was a bit flat, centered up better, but not great.  I felt like there may have been some side movement and that I did not initially land on the left main but on both mains.  Well, it was gusty, so maybe there was no wind at that instant.  I went around again.

            No traffic this time, and the Centurion was back at the T-Hangars before I was ever on downwind.  It was a beautiful evening. I could see my office. 



            I turned final, established the slip, and noticed I was a bit high.  I pulled the power back to get down to the glideslope.  Once established on the glideslope, I added more power, then over the road, added the last notch of flaps.  This time, I felt like I was a passenger being flown by the airplane—never the right feeling.  I touched down a bit fast and bounced.  The left (upwind) wing lifted.  The right main touched down first.  Then, the nosewheel and left almost simultaneously.  I was pretty shaken.  Instead of a stop and go, I taxied back to regroup. 

            Whenever I have a bad landing, I always try to get right back up to regain confidence.  I did so, and talked my way, out loud, around the pattern.  I reminded myself of the fact that I was the pilot, not the passenger.  As I approached again, I established the slip, kept the glideslope perfectly, managed my speed right on the spot, and touched down on the left main, kept the nose up and left wing down.  Right main touched down, then the nose—without even feeling it (that’s what I’m shooting for).  That was a crosswind landing, I thought to myself.  One more time.


 
            There is nothing I don’t like about flying.  But perhaps one of my favorite parts of flying is the takeoff roll.  Starting down the runway at full throttle headed for the sky.  The plane took to the air at around 65 KIAS, and I established a left crab as I climbed out at 81 KIAS.  Again, talking my way around the pattern. 

            I turned final, established the slip, and was stable on the approach.  Altitude good.  As I flared, I held it off until the upwind main kissed the pavement with hardly a sound or jolt.  Same with the right.  The nose wheel settled without a bump.  And I was just about on centerline!  A great landing! Whew!

            Good time to call it quits.  Called for the fuel truck to Foxtrot 7, and taxied back there to meet it.  A good day all around. And I like landings, too, especially the better I get at them.
 

            Hoping to get ready for my checkride soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment