Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pattern Work-Crosswind Landings 03/01/11

March 1, 2011

The wind was fairly light as I set out to fly the pattern. It was a beautiful, crisp, clear day, but a little gusty.  And aloft, it was bumpy.  I am beginning to figure out this weather thing.  Clear skies usually mean there is movement and some disturbance.  Otherwise, there would be haze from particles in the air not being stirred up and moved along.



There were two other planes in the pattern, and I felt good about having the opportunity to practice paying attention to their location from radio calls and position reports.  The Piper in front of me did not always announce his position, and I had to keep track of him visually.  He must've been with an instructor, because they practiced an engine out, which was fun to watch.  He made a nice landing.

My landings were tolerable.  The gusty direct left crosswind was challenging, and I felt pretty good about my performance.  I was carried downwind a bit on short final, and did a good job compensating with the slip.  Landed on one wheel a couple of times, and kept the right aileron in throughout the roll out.  I would really like to practice in stronger winds to build my confidence.





John, my CFI, may be able to meet Sunday afternoon for some practice for the check ride.  I am looking forward to that.  Hopefully, I will be able to get my certificate by the end of March.  That is my goal anyway.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment