Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Another Old Post: First Solo

 While I wait for another day to fly (could have today with John, my CFI, but I was too busy), here is another old write-up of mine.  A very special one. My first solo.

05/21/10
First Solo

I met CFI #1 down at KFCI today at 8 am.  Just like yesterday, the briefer told me that they were showing IFR, VFR not recommended: fog.  There was no hint of fog anywhere, and when I pulled up in front of the hangar about 7:15 am, the sky was clear blue, no wind, and no fog.  I got to spend a long time preflighting the plane. I went over it inside and out.

My CFI has a 16 year old retriever, and the dog is not doing well.  At 7:45 am, my CFI called to say he was on his way but had lost track of time dealing with the dog who he was going to have to put to sleep today.  I told my CFI not to come, but he said his wife would look after the dog while we flew.  Thirty minutes later, he arrived, and we were up.  There was quite a bit of activity at the airport--more than typical and certainly more than at 6am.  Planes were coming out of hangars and people were walking around.

There was no hint of the vibration I had felt in the plane yesterday.  The plane was handling well, and my takeoff went smoothly.  The first landing was not bad, and we went around again.  My takeoff was not as good--not sure why, but I instinctively put both hands on the yoke for a split second before putting my right back on the throttle. 

The second landing wasn't so bad, but he told me not to use the brakes too much--I had stood on them kind of hard.   Also, I was floating somewhat since my method of landing from yesterday was to leave the power in during the flare.  He solved that the next time around.

On downwind almost abeam the numbers, my CFI asked if the primer was locked. I told him it was.  He said, "Check it".  I let go of the yoke with my left hand and checked it.  He laughed as he pulled my right off the throttle and pulled it back to idle.  "Can't fool you."  So the plane just out of annual had the engine quit--why hadn't they checked that sort of thing? 

I pitched for best glide, turned to the airport and did my troubleshooting.  Mixture, prop, tanks, throttle, cutoff, primer.  All to no avail--still no engine.  Getting a little slow--I got the nose down and put in a notch--I had the field made and some.  Another notch. Over the runway.  I added my last notch about 40 AGL and got a nice flare and landing.  But that either troubled my CFI or he wasn't feeling so well, because he asked me to take him over to the FBO instead of going around again.

Even though he wanted to rest, he told me I could keep on flying, so I did.  I wasn't ready to stop.  I taxied back out to 15, but a Citation was on downwind for 15.  I decided to wait for him.  He made a long turn to base and final, and I watched him come in to land.




A 172 pulled up behind me to do a run-up.  Well, it was my turn--people were waiting.  Lights, camera, action.  I really didn't notice my CFI wasn't there.  Too much to do.  Down the runway and rotate.  No trouble.

My CFI's voice came over the radio, NXXXX, you see that Cessna there--that was his first takeoff by himself."  "Pretty good", the other pilot said--I think it was the guy in the 172--not the Citation.  Turned cross just fine.  Then downwind.  No problem with speed or altitude.  As I knew from reading others' posts, downwind was where I noticed the absence of the right seat occupant.  So I set my kneeboard and checklist in the seat.  I also thought about not being able to tell any increased performance with only one occupant.  Must be the heavier engine--I'll look at that again on the second climb out.

Downwind to base to final.  Fairly high.  I did a slip to lose some altitude.  It looked fairly good, so I let some speed bleed off.  Probably don't need quite as much as before.  My first solo landing was a bit rough--not a drop, but a little sideways jolt as I lined it back up with the runway.  I came to a stop, raised the flaps, and announced I was on the go for the pattern.  Another smooth takeoff.  I checked my VSI at Vy.  It was 1100-1200 fpm!  OK, so there is some increased performance.  Cross to downwind.  No problems.  Saw the 172 depart and turn to the north behind and away from me.

Downwind to base to final.  Much better on the altitude.  Kept my speeds nailed.  The second landing was much more acceptable.  Before i hit the brakes, I realized I'd have to taxi down to the next intersection, so I keep the speed up to get out of the way of an incoming LSA behind me.  I turned off, announced clear, and taxied past my CFI and another CFI chatting by the AWOS.  They gave me the thumbs up.  Looks like he must be feeling better.  I taxied back to the T Hangar as we had discussed and got the endorsements in my log book! 

So now I've done it--I can practice with a little more flexibility.  I'm looking forward to that second solo!

20.2 hours, .5 hours PIC, and 80 landings.

No comments:

Post a Comment